Get Involved

Serving on our School Community Council

Serving on our community council is a wonderful way for parents and teachers to contribute and help improve academic performance at our school.

The school receives an annual dividend from the school trust lands. Our council decides how these funds will be used.

Every public school in Utah has a School Community Council. The councils are made up of school employees who are elected by employees and parents who are elected by parents of students attending the school. Membership terms are for two years. Elections are held at the beginning of each school year. If you would like to participate on the community council at North Ogden Elementary please let us know. Anyone is welcome to join us when we meet as a council.


How would I become involved?

Near the beginning of the school year parents receive notice of open positions on the council and how to let the council know they would like to serve. If more people apply than there are open positions, an election is held.
Tell someone on the council that you are interested if a position becomes open. Choose SCHOOLS and then the district and school. It will show:
• Who is on the school council
• How much money comes to the school
• How has the school spent the money in past school years

There is money to be spent at our school and YOU could decide how to spend it.

Our School Community Council makes decisions that matter.

Who is the School Community Council and what do they do?
Every school must have a School Community Council that consists of the principal, school employees and parents. The majority of members are parents. Parents represent parent perspectives on issues and in votes made by the council.
The council is responsible to review and propose changes to academic school plans each year. The School Improvement Plan and School LAND Trust Plan outline the student’s greatest academic needs and include an action plan to address them. Both plans are approved by the local school board and then implemented at the school. The School LAND Trust Plan is implemented with funds that increase every year. The council decides how the money is to be spent in the plan.

Councils have other responsibilities:
• Parents may bring issues of concern to the council seeking solutions. The council may choose to address them or recommend another group or entity better suited to implement solutions.
• The council may also create programs or projects to improve the parent, student, and faculty school experience.
• They may make recommendations to the administration of the school and district.
What is the time commitment?
When and where do they meet?
The council meets 4 to 6 times a year in the conference room or library.
Why do parents participate? Does it matter that I participate?
Parents have a majority voice in a forum where issues of concern or recommendations for their students will be heard and addressed.
Parent voices of all student populations need to be included in the conversation about how to meet the needs and accomplish high levels of learning for all students.
Parents have input in the School Improvement Plan and in how the funds from the School LAND Trust Program will be spent. Parents have the majority vote.

WSD Overdrive Link

Worldbookonline link to their website